Thursday, April 2, 2009

Hungover

Holla,

It's been over a week since my last post for Unemployment Line, and for that, I apologize. To all my readers (Mom, Dad, and Nick), I will make a concerted effort to avoid this dry spell again. I have no real excuse, other than being extremely hungover.

I'm not hungover from alcohol, or lack of sleep, or even the large meal of McDonald's that I consumed last night. No, it's more of a general process that I've found I experience while living life in the unemployment line. Whenever I experience a slight break from the monotony of applying for jobs and staring at my computer screen, it causes me to remember what life is like on the other side.

I'm eating out at real restaurants rather than eating five dollar footlongs from Subway. I'm relaxing at the beach, rather than huddled over my computer, sifting through the garbage of Craigslist. I'm taking in the sights and sounds of the city, rather than sitting in my smelly chair in my darkened room. It's wonderful.

My family visited this past weekend, and I forgot about the stresses of my normal, everyday lifestyle for a good five days. However, with my parent's flight out on Tuesday night, I quickly returned to reality. I was once again incessantly checking my email and hitting the refresh button on Craigslist.

Whenever something like this happens, I go through a lack of motivation for at least a couple of days. Whether it's someone visiting, or a fun event, or even a series of job interviews, I will always hit the low point of the rollercoaster for a while.

I knew that these low points would be part of my life when I entered the Line. Part of the reason that I left the corporate world was to escape the monotony of the everyday drag, but the ride is much harder to deal with in reality than it is in theory.

I'm slowly on my way back. I have a to-do list right next to me, already did some laundry, and am thinking about making a trip to the gym. Before you know it, I will be sending out resumes and cleaning the apartment.

There may be some interesting events in the next couple of days, but I'm going to withhold information until I hear further news.

More to come.

2 comments:

  1. Yes... clean the apartment. I can't afford a maid right now. I'll continue to let you borrow the car and won't pee on your pillow.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hang in there, bro. I'm also facing a hangover once the parentals' flight departs from SEA on Sunday. I'll need you to get me through. Oh, and count me among your readers ...

    ReplyDelete