Monday, April 6, 2009

Tales From the Hood

Holla,

My hood never ceases to amaze me. Just when I start to worry about what I am going to blog about, new subject matter just seems to drop in my lap. This tale of wonder started Saturday afternoon, when Nick and I left our apartment to grill out and watch some basketball at a friend's apartment.

We were headed to an "80's prom" birthday party later on in the evening, and we were fully decked out in our very appropriate attire. See picture below:



Pictured left to right: Me (as a member of the Cobra Kai), Ryan Popek (as a vampire, I guess), Nick Isabella (as the chaperon), and Chris Walker (straight out of Miami. He had a mini pony tail)

We had a wonderful time at the party, dancing to Footloose and serenading the birthday girl with the Righteous Brothers. Here are a few choice pictures from the event:



All of us got sufficiently sauced up on some choice beverages and landmine shots, and eventually made our way home. Nick and I walked into our apartment, which we had spent significant amounts of time cleaning earlier in the day, and found a fine layer of white dust covering every surface of my room.

At that time, with my state of mind significantly altered, I was quite confused. I stood in the entryway of my room, slowly trying to put what I was seeing in some sort of a logical order. I had left my room in a fairly clean state. I had put all of the clothes away. I had thrown the empty Diet Coke bottles in the recycling bin. I had even washed my sheets and made my bed, and that never happens.

In that instant, a picture flashed in my mind grapes. I had a vision of Anderson Bauer, covered in flour while he was passed out. This act was performed by yours truly approximately eight years ago, when Anderson and I lived together in college. It was called "Antiquing" and it came in a close second to writing on people as my favorite late-night, annoyingly drunken behavior.

My room had been "Antiqued". Someone had walked past my half open window and decided to hilariously dump a bag full of white powder into it. Fortunately, my fan was on, which spread the white powder throughout every nook and cranny of my room and into some of the other portions of the apartment. Additionally, my computer and printer were in direct line with the open window and the trajectory of the fan's airflow, causing the powder to become concentrated on the only items of value that I own. Hooray!!!

I slept on the pull-out couch for the night, and spent yesterday trying to clean the powder up as much as possible. Nick finally figured out what the substance was when he was getting the mail. There was a fire extinguisher on the apartment's exterior, near our mailboxes, that had been stolen and was most likely used for the "Antiquing".

A very good natured soul, in my very good natured neighborhood, decided to take precautionary measures and put out the fire that may or may not have existed in my room at the time. I guess a 'thank you' is in order.

Today, while still finding large collections of dust hidden in the pockets of my room, I received a chain of emails from my friends who also live in the hood. Apparently there was a man that was running throughout the alleyways of North Park in the late hours of Saturday night, lighting fires. There were 15 fires set, the culmination of which took place when he lit up a parked car.

I'm not sure if the same man sprayed the fire extinguisher in my room, or if there were multiple people involved in the operation. Maybe one man lit fires, while the other one chased after him putting them out. It's splendidly cute game known as "Fire and Seek", or "Fire Tag", or maybe even "Idiot Parade".

Regardless of how it happened, I guess that I should consider myself lucky for receiving the fire extinguisher on my room rather than an actual fire. White powder is significantly less damaging than charred carbon.

Nothing like living in the hood.

More to come...

No comments:

Post a Comment