Tuesday, March 24, 2009

The Nomadic Lifestyle

Holla,

As I wander around the streets of San Diego, I notice quit a few homeless men and women, especially in the hood that I call home. I don't know if there is a disproportionately higher homeless population here, but it wouldn't surprise me if that were the case. Why wouldn't you pick San Diego as your homeless destination? The everyday weather here would cause a near riot in the midwest. So many people would be rushing outside to "enjoy the weather" that there would be a genuine human stampede.

The question I have is whether homeless people pick the city in which they would like to start their derelict lifestyle. Do you reach a certain point in your life where you know that you are headed to the streets? Maybe the voices in your head are getting progressively louder, or the drug addiction is becoming stronger. Maybe you are watching your bank account dwindle progressively downward as you live in your friends apartment, unable to find work anywhere...

Oh my God. Am I on this downward spiral toward eventual homelessness? Am I already there? I don't own a car, don't have an apartment lease, and have very few possessions that I can call my own. I have lived in spare rooms in my friend's apartments for the last two years, and have been unemployed for almost a full 12 months. I have moved from a terrible homeless city (Chicago/Minneapolis) to an amazing one (SD). I could be subconsciously setting myself for living in a cardboard box and collecting random bits of garbage for my ever-expanding shopping cart inventory.

I'm not sure that I can escape from this vortex. I might just have to resign myself to the fact that I am on a path to homelessness. I should probably start hanging with my El Cajon Street Crew so that I can learn some tricks of the trade. Maybe I should start talking in nonsensical phrases and give myself a nickname like "Crazy Pete". I think that I may pick one of my neighbors to harass on a daily basis. I'll begin by digging through their garbage, and work my way towards screaming obscenities at them.

It's been put in motion already. I may even have to change the name of this blog to "Life in the Food Line". Can you imagine the blogging opportunities?

-More to come.

1 comment:

  1. Remember "C-Town"? The crazy younger lady we saw in PB last time we went to the Shore Club? I saw her yesterday downtown. Do you think she walked, or took the bus?

    ReplyDelete