Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Starting Things Off

Holla,

I am embarking on a new venture. Blogging about not having a job. Now, I understand that this may seem a little counter intuitive. Why waste time writing a blog when I should be applying for jobs, right? It may make more sense if I include a little background information.

About 10 months ago, I left my job as an accountant. For four years I had been a slave to the spreadsheet and annual reports. I didn't enjoy the work, and I felt like I was wasting my life away. Without a real clear plan in place, I put in my notice and headed off into the unknown.

I spent the majority of last summer hanging out in the basement of my apartment, playing video games and watching movies. I trained for a marathon, wrote about Minnesota sports teams (sotalove.blogspot.com), and burned through my life savings. It was amazing.

In October, I decided to move from Chicago to southern California. I still had no idea what I wanted to do, but I was starting to formulate a plan in my mind grapes. I came up with the idea that I wanted to be a writer. Mainly because it sounded cool when it came out of my mouth.

Random person: What do you do?
Me: Nothing.
Random: Well, what do you want to do?
Me: I want to write.

I always felt a little cheesy when I said these words, but it also felt good to know what I wanted to do. I wanted to be a writer. It was just a matter of finding someone to pay me for having this lofty aspiration.

This may seem surprising, but there aren't a lot of people out there that will pay you just by telling them that you want to be a writer. I know, I've tried. I've sent out hundreds of emails to people saying, "I don't have a lot of experience, but I really want to write for you."

This tactic does not work. Especially for someone that has no prior writing experience or formal education in writing. Accounting and Finance majors don't usually convey that "Master in Prose" sentiment.

Over the past several months, while conducting my fruitless job search, I have found myself in some interesting situations. That is where this blog comes into play. I will try and chronicle some of these experiences, while forcing myself to continue developing my writing style.

I have no impressions that this blog will gain a wide range of readership, but for those of you that do come across this site; please enjoy.

-Micah

No comments:

Post a Comment