Thursday, February 19, 2009

Big Day

Holla,

So it was a big day in the unemployment line. There were three significant events that may eventually fill up my schedule:

1) I had an audition. Two auditions actually, but they were for the same production/director crew. They are making two movie shorts that they hope to enter into film festivals or add to their personal DVD collection. Both parts are unpaid, but at least they will give me some experience, provided that I'm cast for either of them.

I have found that I will often jump to unrealistic conculsions since I've been in the unemployment line. A job opportunity or a certain gig will catch my interest. If I receive an email back from the employer, I will automatically start picturing myself in that role. If I get an audition or an interview, these expectations grow immensely larger. I just had my audition this morning, and I've already pictured myself watching the movie at film festivals and answering questions about my role afterward. Then, when I don't get a part or a job, my hopes come crashing down in the form of a half day depression. I will sit in my room and sulk because I didn't get an unpaid acting part.

I know I do this, and yet, I can't help myself from thinking these thoughts over and over again. Which brings me to the next big thing in my day.

2) My girl Kegger got me a potential interview with an upscale restaurant/bar in the downtown area. I received an email last week from the manager, asking me to email him today to see if there may be any potential openings. I emailed him this afternoon, but I haven't heard back from him yet.

Along with the auditions, I've already pictured myself in a crisp white shirt and serving expensive drinks in this establishment. The haven't even interviewed me, but I'm already making plans to roll around in the tip money that I will earn. The third thing in my day is along these same lines.

3) The Hard Rock Hotel's rooftop bar is hiring for all positions. I'm headed downtown in a couple of minutes to drop off my resume and hopefully get an interview. I learned about this opportunity through Craigslist, which means that thousands of other San Diegans have seen this opening also. I assume that there are quite a number of more qualified applicants that have already dropped their resumes and applications off at the bar.

Still, I have pictured myself serving drinks to bikini-clad women throughout the summer, while enjoying the rooftop views. I can't help myself.

So, there are three big events that are happening today. The chance of employment is slim with each of them, and they will most likely lead to me eating Big Macs in a darkened room next week, but I still have to hold out hope. I will keep you updated.

More to come---

No comments:

Post a Comment