Thursday, March 19, 2009

Coming to a Close

Holla,

My current stint as a server is coming to a close. Currently, I am playing a role in a local theater as a waitress that has manly features. That's right. A woman.

When I was in elementary school, my older sister told me that if I grew my hair out and put on makeup, I could pass for a girl. It was an awful thing to say to a young boy that was already tall and awkward. It took years for me to forgive my sister for that. Somewhere between then and now, I've gotten considerably more comfortable in my own skin. Comfortable enough that I can put on a wig and fake eyelashes and not think twice about it.

For the past two weekends, I have been playing the role of "waitress" in this really small, community theater. Typically there are anywhere from 5 to 15 people in the audience, who seem to respond favorably to our short act. Even though our director is not paying any of his actors, and is charging $22 per ticket, it doesn't seem like he can make ends meet.

He sent an email yesterday, saying that even though we were scheduled to perform through the last weekend in March, we were going to be shutting down production on Saturday night. He said that he is losing thousands of dollars on this production, and he will no longer be able to put on any future plays.

I don't know how he could be losing thousands of dollars. He rents the space for $10 an hour and made me buy my own makeup. I had to walk into CVS and ask an employee where I could get cheap foundation and eye shadow, and then pay for it with my unemployed money. Unless he is using a large mountain of cocaine before each show, I'm not sure how he could be losing that much money.

Regardless, the show's over. My time as playing a woman is done....for now.

-More to come-

1 comment:

  1. I remember saying that -- sorry, bro. It was only tough love that looks like it finally led to your comfort wearing makeup. Not a bad thing for an actor ...

    ReplyDelete